tirsdag 12. april 2011

Salticidae special


Last Friday I was walking in the small town here where I work called Esporles. And as I was walking I noticed that there were a lot of Saltisidae in the wall trying to attract mates by the look of things. Some of them had quite enlarged pedipalps, This is where they store the sperm when they are ready to mate. I went back later with my camera to see what I could find. All of these are Salticidae, or jumping spiders. This is because they don’t hunt by web, but by jumping to attack the prey. They often have quite small abdomens/ophistosoma as well as strong legs for jumping. They have wonderful eyesight and have no problem detecting a huge camera lens in front of them. Curiosity sometimes helps a cameraman here as they will investigate. And especially the flash they seem to react to. But they are very small no more than 5 mm most of them. One, the last one here was above one cm and that is why it was the best photo object at this time. It also helped that it stayed in the sun for better lighting. All pictures were taken with my Canon D400 camera and a canon 60mm macro lens. I have had it for some years and i still love this lens. When it comes to determenig these ones i really need some litterature and more time. At least it should be possible to determine them to genus.









2 kommentarer:

  1. ooooooh, de ble dødstøffe! Great job, I especially love the last one! They're just too adorable!

    (My sister will probably refuse any knowledge of me if she hears me referring to her #1 nemesis the spider as adorable, hehe!)

    SvarSlett
  2. Takker så meget, It was a fun hour of me taking pictures and people looking strange at me :-)

    SvarSlett