mandag 16. mai 2011

Insects and spiders from trips oh my!

Back in Mallorca, and here the life of insects and bugs alike are thriving. These are pictures from the last two weeks, from sampling for my genus of amphipods (Pseudoniphargus), and trips in the mountains just for fun. The Iberian fauna is showing me some really cool things. To enlarge the picture just click on them. Hope you enjoy


Scytodidae, Scytodes sp., This is also called the spitting spider since it does not hunt by producing a net. Instead it spits treads in a zig-zag pattern at its prey (this one i had in my room. How cool is that?). This was my first encounter with this family and i really hope it will not be my last. 

Gryllidae

Thomisidae, Waiting for a tasty snack.

This one i only got as far as Brachycera with confidence. Here i could use some help..(Gunnar)

This one was taken in a cave searching for amphipods. I should have had my ring flash with me for this one. There were a group of five spiders there all quite large, about as a thumb in size. Identification will be tricky, They were smooth but with strong bristles or seta, maybe a Therididae, or a Aranidae, any thoughts? 

This one was dead when found in the pond where we were searching for Amphipoda. It was a large specimen. Come to think of it this cave was really not for the squeamish people. As well as a cranium of a rat, makes up quite a good setting. 


Lycosidae, It is hard to place to genus but I would eliminate Pirata and Throcosa. I think it is Pardosa, but i am far from certain.

Another Thomisidae ready to pounce on anything getting close enough to his flower

Coleoptera; Oedermeridae, My first encounter with this family as well.

Miridae

Araneidae, and i think it is from the genus of Araniella. These are tiny spiders but they are absolutely beautiful.

Dysteridae Nemesia brauni, this one is endemic (link to paper with evidence of endemism.) to the Balearic Islands as well. This one was in a tunnel web under a larger rock where it seemed to be feasting on isopods. Dysteridae are spiders with rather large chelicera and most have only six eyes. 

Lachnaia vicina
Early in the mornign, still with morning dew all over the nice elytra

Lachnaia vicina
Here with the time old question, "what are you looking at?"


Next post will be bug free, as I will have birds and reptiles to show you guys.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Oooh, so many nice shots! I especially liked the Scytodidae, have you made a whitebox or is it just the celing/floot that's white?

    SvarSlett
  2. Nice shots, all of them - but I especially like the Scytodidae, have you put him(?) in a whitebox, or is it the wall/floor that's white? Either way, it looks great! Has petterkopp seen these?

    SvarSlett
  3. huh, my old comment resurrected-does this mean that the rapture is near? (dun-dun-DUN!) *grabs survival kit and popcorn*

    SvarSlett