tirsdag 3. juli 2012

Escarabajo de san juan

For 5 nights I have been out trying to get photos of a specific beetle that comes out at this time of year around midsummer. The Polyphylla fullo of the scarabeaoidea family. For these nights it is buzzing around trying to find a mate just at the time of dusk. There were not exactly millions of them this year but sufficient for me to take photos. They also are a welcome dietary supplement to the Falco eleonorae Eleonora's Falcon or Eleonorafalk in Norwegian. The beetles make a hissing sound to ward off predators. I think if I am not mistaken they produce this noise by forcing air through their spiraclers.

       
                         Male                                                Female


These wonderful birds sit in the trees and wait for dusk until they start swooping down and catching their prey. On the return home you could se dicarded elytras and heads on the side of the road.




1 kommentar:

  1. 5 nights of my lifeeeeeee, but the most beautifull was thatthe summer came....Falcon's flying, hot air, frog`s singing, sunset, and finally the sky full of the stars....oh and my first owl!!!!

    SvarSlett